Question
Posted by: Edie | 2011/12/19

Hands in my hair

Dear CS

I''m feeling frustrated at the moment, well actually most
Of the time. I have someone at work who I have to oversee.
She was employed in another position a long time ago and a couple of years ago, the company was downsized and she was placed in a higher position, too high for her capabilities and education. The dept went downhill fast and when I was employed, well I''ve been working non stop for two years trying to sort out the mess. She has been kept in the same position as the boss has a soft spot for her. She is very dedicated and is at the office 10 hours a day. But all I do is sort out her mistakes an i''ve had to sign docs that said that i''m behind with my work although i said many times that her lack of capabilities is the drawback. The boss also complains abt it to me, but never says anything yo her, expecting me all the timd to do the dirty work. I have tried to explain toe her, teach her, lead her, push het. But she can do no more and I''ve had it. So, if I have to do her work, i ve taken over a lot of her responsibilities, or sort out her crap i am not going to happy about it. I''ve been quite verbal about, saying that things are unacceptable etc and she has written loads of emails saying that i''m not nice to her. Again today, i see she made a mistake then i bring it under her attdntion, she becimes defensive and i''m like, well i still have to fix it. So she wrote another email saying she is going to look fof other work. So i''m supposed to feel sorry pr think maybe i''m too harsh or horrible or just a b.... But i dont feel like that, i kind of feel, yes, please go. My husband says that i have become impossible lately and that no one can live up to my standards and that im too much of a perfectionist. But, as milions of other working mothers i m trying to juggle all my responsibilities and can''t i then expect some higher standards from the people around me? Dont people want to feel good about what they are doing and cant they strive to do things accurately, efficiently? Do i need to apologise for wanting to do my own job and not someone elses all the time? Agh, am I horrible for not feeling horrible?

OK< firstly, the company made a BAD decision a ile ago to promote her not based on competence and performance but on their own convenience.
It was, as I understand it, their duty to provide her with further training to ensure she became capable of doing the job, or to move her again to a job she was indeed competent to do.
Maybe she's truly dedicated to her work, maybe like some other incompetents, she hopes that by always being at work, she can more easily cover up for her errors and at least be assumed to be hard working even if not competent.
Tomany is right. Place the problem squarely with the HR person, where it belongs, and document all of her inadequacies and errors.
Refuse to sign any document that is inacurate or incomplete. If you are behind with your own work because of fixing her mistakes, record that this is so, and insist on completing your own duties before you can even think of assisting her.
Do NOT feel sorry for her - she could have remedied this situation in many ways raher than just taking advantage of it. You are not in the least horrible for not pitying her.

4
Posted by: Bron | 2011/12/21

I had the same problem. After trying to coach, teach and train the two girls who reportedf to me, I gave up. They took off sick, spent long periods having lunch andf gossipping, etc. I started doing an audit on the girls'' work and gave it to my boss. The girls, who were there long before me, had made such a big mess dating back for so long, I could not fix it. My boss simply looked at the documents in shock and did nothing. I quit eventually. Depending on the circumstance and environment, it is hard to garner support when you are a manager, especially from superiors who have either racial loyalties, culture based loyalties or simply dont want to find solutions as they are generally unsure of what to do.

Reply to Bron
Posted by: Whats the problem? | 2011/12/20

She is going and will surely get a great reference. u will get her job whats the problem/?
Romany is correct - u r not a perfectionist due to grammar and spelling issues. So do not listen 2 hubby

Reply to Whats the problem?
Posted by: Romany | 2011/12/20

Firstly, I do not think you need to worry about being a perfectionist. Your husband is totally wrong here. A perfectionist will not spell as per your post above to start with.
You need to go to HR and get a proper list of your responsibilities. Then, stick to your responsibilities and do not interfere with her work any more than is required.
Report every single mistake she makes, make copies and keep the " evidence" .
Should you, at some time in the future be accused of her mistakes, you will be able to back up your argument. No proof ... No argument.
Mostly people like this will hang themselves eventually.....

Reply to Romany