Posted by: Portia | 2009-09-07

Handicapped husband

I am happily in a relationship with a guy who has been a quadruplegic for 16yrs. we are in the process of getting married. My concern is will we be able to have children if not naturally which route do you suggest, invitro? i heard that a male with sci have low sperm rate which make everything impossible? Please help with any advice, do you have a doctor in JHB who you can refer us to?

Expert ImageHandicap Expert

I suggest that you visit a Fertility clinic, once you are ready to have a child, as you will have to opt for the in vitro process. The baby will be genetically part of mother and father but conception will start outside the body, where the male sperm is introduced into the female egg.

Contact your nearest hospital for details of a fertility clinic in your area.