Question
Posted by: GBES | 2010/04/14

Hand tremors

I am a 48 yr old male , 100kg and 1.75m tall.

I exercised yesterday on a gym bike.
My last session was a month ago.
Question:What causes the tremor in my fingers,after I exercised for plus 30 minutes ?
All I do to stop the tremor, is to eat some sugar or eat an apple or two.I normally feel very hungry afterwards.
I am healthy,and had a check-up two weeks ago.The doctor checked my urine,blood samples ,blood pressure.All good.

Dear GBES
The shakes can be due to exertion and/or low blood sugar levels seeing that you can stop the tremors by eating. You may suffer from hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) which would probably not show up unless the doctor does what is called a 'Glucose Tolerance Curve' on you. To prevent this happening you need to eat a low-glycaemic index (GI) diet (click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI). Combine this type of diet with low-fat foods so that you can also lose some weight because your present BMI = 32,7 which is very high. It would basically be a good idea for you to have an individual low-GI, low-fat diet worked out for you by a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that you can control your blood sugar and also lose some weight.
Keep up the good work with the exercise

1

Dear GBES
Keep up the good work with the exercise