Posted by: Johan | 2010-03-24

Hand Injury - deep flesh wound

Hi Dr

I have injured my hand severely in a motorbike accident 3 weeks ago.The "  roastie"  was up to my bone on 4 fingers and knuckles and my hand was bandaged for 2 weeks with Bactroban ointment with new dressings every 2nd day.

The wounds (roasties) are healing well and I''''ve started to use the hand, but underneath my skin is a deep purple pigment.

My fingers has swollen even more today than yesterday and the pain is worse. I''''m scared that my muscle/tendons underneath my skin won''''t heal properly and that this may cause permanent damage to my fingers. The plastic surgeon said it''''s ok if I move my fingers but how does muscle/tendons heal if they move continuously? Is this good or not. Should I rest the hand rather, and do ice treatment for swelling?

Rest, ice treatment and elevation of your hand and arm will definately help for the swelling but I suggest that you consult an orthopaedic surgeon to evaluate the status of your tendons in your hand.

Posted by: Racoon | 2010-03-24

I think you should phone your surgeon immediately. Please don''t wait for the Docs reply. It sounds as though it could be infection?

Reply to Racoon