Question
Posted by: Aero | 2008/08/27

Hamstring injury

I' ve been running/doing triathlons for many years, but last wed I got a horrid pulling(not tearing) sensation in my right hamstring. I' ve been rubbing with Arnica Ice.I can spin/use my indoor trainer (cycling) with no problem, but this morning I tried to run and it happened again to the extent I had to walk home. Uphill/Down hill seems worse.
Any exercises/tips on how to sort this out without Physio?
TY

Hi Aero

It sounds like a mild muscle strain, in which case, yes, a physio will help the healing process along. The key is to rehab the injury so that when you start again you're not much weaker. You could just rest for a couple of weeks and focus on your swimming and cycling until then. But it would be safer to have some sort of assessment, even just a once off thing so that you can begin some kind of strength work to prepare you for the running. But either way, a muscle strain carries with it a couple of weeks off, and so you need to be patient, let it heal and invest in other activities for a while!

Ross