I bought 2 minature hamsters from the pet store on Saturday. Yesterday afternoon i noticed that the one had had babies.
I just need some advise on how to help the mommy care for the babies.
I have put some cotton wool in the cage for her to make her nest warmer - but i dont knwo what else to do?

thank you!

Dear Anonymous

Nothing more you can do. Seperate the mother from the other hamster.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-04-28

Yes, it' s normal. If you don' t separate them - and the babies too, once they grow up - you will soon have a hamster factory.

Why don' t you go and talk to the pet store, and ask them if you can keep two females together, and if so, ask them to swap the male for a female? I' m not too clued up about stuff like whether they' ll fight, or what...

You may be able to negotiate a deal for the babies too - and don' t think that because they' re brothers and sisters, they' re going to behave themselves!

Reply to Chill

oh - another thing... the male was trying to mate with the female again yesterday. is this normal? should i seperate them??