Question
Posted by: Ruhan | 2008/07/23

Hammy

Hello Dokter

Ek het vandag rugby geoefen en toe ek hardloop voel ek iets in my linker been trek. Dit is vrek seer en die Hammy is baie styf.. Is dit dalk net '  n kramp of iets?
Al my probleme het so 2 jaar terug begin. Ek het in 2 jaar se tyd die volgende al gehad: Regter Hammy geskeur, Regter en linker bo-been geskeur en nou is dit my linker hammy...
Wat kan ek doen? Hoekom gebeur dit met my? Ek is raad op, help my asb.
Ruhan (17 jarige)

Hi Ruhan

Too early to say. It sounds like it might be a mild strain or tear, though that's even a guess because I don't know whether you can walk or run at the moment, or whether it's just very stiff.

My advice is to rest for a week, and then see what has changed with your ability to run. The fact that you always tear your hamstring muscles is a sign that you may need to do some strength work or agility type training to improve the control and function of the muscle. This is something that you can really only do with a supervised trainer, at least at first, because they must show you the specific exercises that will benefit you. So my advice is that you should consider seeing a biokineticist or a physiotherapist to assess, because every time you tear the muslce, it gets weaker and you're more likely to tear a muscle again in the future.