Posted by: GD mom | 2009-07-03

Hi Cybervet and others! My 16 month old great dane is leading me a merry dance. When we are on our walk she will, some days be the the perfect dog and some days she is the dog from hell. Our biggest challenge is when we come across other dogs, she leaps straight up into the air like a lipitzaner, barking madly, I' ve tried doing a u turn and taking her away from the " distraction"  but she just spins around and pulls back towards the dog. fortunately its not agression, she just wants to play! we went to puppy and basic obedience classes and even passed the good citizen test! fluke! our teacher recommended a halti, but i wasn' t keen on the idea, i had the impression it makes the dogs submissive? I am using a choke chain at the moment but she is already a very powerfull young lady and tugs me around. What is your opinion of the halti and is there a " best"  way to introduce her to it?

Dear GD mom

Haltis work well. Just put it on and use it. You should be in control, sounds like your dog is at the moment.