Question
Posted by: Charlie | 2010/08/19

Hallucinations from stress?

Dear CyberShrink,

I am a young lady of 24 and something happened to me the other evening that I can''t explain and I am freaked out!
Basically I think I had an hallucination - I started seeing things that weren''t real, yet I was aware that I was seeing something and telling myself that it''s not real. Also felt extremely drunk and disorientated. This lasted for about 10 minutes until I got into bed and went to sleep.

Basically I have a very stressful and high pressure job working 13 hours a day with no break sometimes not even having something to eat through the day etc. Lately I have been feeling panic stricken, like everything is getting too much, so tired that I cry from exhaustion etc.
Do you think I had an hallucination and could this be due to stress/exhaustion and if so what must I do?

Unpleasant experience, certainly. Hard to assess as you don't tell me enough about the circumstances leading up to this experience, nor enough about what happened ( for instance, WHAT hallucinations ? )
Over-stress and under-rest isn't good for us. In the situaton you briefly describe, remember that skipping meals is bad for you too - its not just limiting your intake of vitamins, etc., but you can sink to a very low level of blood sugar, and that can make one feel more exhausted, woozy, unsteady, muddled, and may make you experience unreality, in which actual ordinary things about you may seem odd and strange.
Avoid skipping meals, and try to snack on high GI and similar good nutritious snacks. If you're pushing yourself into very low blood sugar territory, to then gobble a chocolate bar can push the sugar levels a bit too high, and then your system kicks in to right that, and the level bounces down again, and so on.

4
Posted by: Maria | 2010/08/19

I call it medal-or-statue syndrome. If you work yourself to death nobody will give you a medal or erect a statue in your honour. You have to look after yourself.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Lin | 2010/08/19

Try to take a break. Break up your annual holiday a week at a time if possible. Go to a spa on a Saturday. Keep quick lunches at work like cup-a-soup.

Reply to Lin
Posted by: Liza | 2010/08/19

I would suggest that you go on holiday. From personal experience I can say that yes, stress can cause hallucinations. Keeping up a 13 hour workday without a break or even not eating is not a good idea. The hallucinations are the brains'' way of saying - " Hey! Overworked here!" . If you don''t pay attention and take a break, your brain is going to say - " Well, I couldn''t take a break, so now I shut down!"  You do NOT want it to go that far!

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza