Question
Posted by: King | 2008-12-10

Hallucinating when to much to drink

My wife is hallucinating when she had to much to drink. She sees her parents and they have passed away a long time ago. She also keeps pointing to ghosts or something that I am not able to see!! She is also very nervous and hears the softest sounds. She jumps of shock when hears loud sounds. She also becomes agressive. What is wrong with her. This never happend before. It happend now for the second time in a week.

This sounds serious. It can happen, though most typically, heavy drinkers start to see things after they STOP drinking, or when they significantly reduce their alcohol intake --- as in DTs, Delirium Tremens. Either way, it signals a really serious drinking problem needing urgent treatment. She should arrange to see a psychiatrist as soon as possible, for an emergency assessment, and may need admission for some days to safely withdraw from the alcohol, with protection from the potentially serious and risky effects of such withdrawal.
People in this precarious state should do this, as otherwise thewy are at risk that should they, for instance, be in a car acident, they might end up in hospital and have dangerous withdrawal probhlems in the middle of an orthopaedic ward.