Posted by: Embarressed | 2009-01-05

I am a 37 year old female. When I was 16 I had my tonsils out and since that operation I have suffered from bad breathe. As I have gotten older it has gotten much worse. I avoid eating onions, garlic etc. but the reality is my breathe is bad regardless of what I eat. I can smell my breathe myself and my close friend has made comments about it.

I brush my teeth sometimes more than 3 times a day, I gargle with mouthwash about 2-3 times a day and I floss. I also brush my tongue when I brush my teeth. But it seems the bad breathe comes from " deep down"  my throat and not from my actual teeth/mouth. I do suffer with chronic vasomotor rhinitis and sinusitus from time to time - not sure if that is affecting it.

I go through a large tin of mints and a packet of chewing gum every 2 days. The constant chewing gum is hurting my jaw. The chewing gum and mints help while I am taking it but after a half hour/ hour it goes back to odouress.

I work as a counsellor and trainer and I am really struggling as I speak to people at close promiximity and it is affecting my self confidence and ability to do my job properly and communicate with people in general.

1. Is it healthy to consume large amounts of mints daily?
2. What could be causing the bad breathe and why would it be getting much worse.
3. Is there a long term cure?
4. What can I do - I feel desperate for a permanent cure/ solution?
5. Would it help to take something like Pong-gos (parsely oil capsules) in large quantities everyday - a few times a day?

Thanks so much for your help! I am too embarressed to even speak to my GP about it!!

Dear Embarassed
1. Mints will cause tooth decay in the end
2. bad breath can be caused by infections in the mouth or sinuses or lungs or dry mouth or bad teeth
3. Yes but you have to find the cause
5. No don't take Pon go - it only helps for garlic breath, you can however try chlorofil tablets
What to do:
1. First see our dentist to exclude any dental problems.
2. If no dental problems are found, make an appointment with an ENT specialist for examination of the sinuses and to see whether you have a chronic infection/post nasal drip.
3. Try taking probiotics three times a day - it keeps the "bad" bacteria levels in the gastrointestinal tract low
4. Drink enough water ( 8 glasses a day)
5. eat more fruit and vegetables and less meat
Hope this helps!

Posted by: JK | 2009-01-05

You should eat more yoghurt, plain yoghurt. It has a lot of probiotic cultrures that clean your digestive system. Try the Woolies drinking yoghurt. Just my 2 cents worth. Let' s hear what the doc says.

Reply to JK