Question
Posted by: Mel | 2010/03/02

Half marathon

I''ve entered the Two Oceans Half marathon but thought I wouldn''t be able to do it due to other commitments. Now I''m free on that day but I haven''t been training. I can run about 3 or 4km comfortably. Do you think I''d be able to become fit enough to do the race without injury in 30 days? I''m not worried about my time, I just want to finish before cut-off. If it is possible, would you please advise me as to training?

Hi Mel

It'll be a long run, but if you're prudent then yes you will be able to do it. You'd have to do a lot of work between now and then as well. You need to build the training volume, especially on one run a week which you can call your long run. I'd say you should aim to increase that so that by race day you're running 12 to 14km on that day. A mix of running and walking, rather. So maybe this week do 7km, next week 9km, then 11km, then 13km, the week before the race.

On race day, you'll have to go in with a plan of when to walk. You might, for example, head in with the idea of doing 2km jog, 2 min walk, and repeat that over and over. If you run each kilometer in say 6min, then that little schedule will take you 2 and a half hours, more or less, which is just fine.

There's enough time, but only if you have a good month, and a clear plan going in!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/03/03

Hi Mel

Reply to fitnessdoc