Question
Posted by: Tazz | 2009-03-15

Half marathon

OK so Ive entered the two oceans marathon, and im not a runner. I just really wanna do it. So i have a month before the race. I havent trained yet. I go to karate twice weekly and Im generally fit from constant walking. Is it still possible to finish the race?

Hi Tazz

Yes, but depending on your level of fitness, you might have to start with a plan of walking and running. if you take the risk and just try to run, there is a chance that you'll make it to say 13km and be completely spent. Those final 8km will be very tough then.

So what you might need to do is begin with a strategy, that says you'll run 3km, walk 1 km. Or maybe do 10 minutes run, 2 minutes walk. Something like that. A plan that will see you recover during the race. Because taking on 21 km is a challenge without training, but if you can break it up into shorter sections, then it's doable.

It's all about managing expectations, and setting a realistic goal for yourself. The first 10km will really determine your race outcome - if that's too fast, then the finish line moves further and further away.

And then obviously, it goes without saying, start training now! Not training too hard, because the risk of injury is high if you squeeze it all in, but just get out and see how you go. Find out what your limit is, how far you can run, how fast, so that you can come up with that strategy based on real information and not guess work.

2
Posted by: Boyscout | 2009-03-16

Hi Tazz

I agree with Tes, it is possible. The most important thing is to pace yourself, dont get caught up in the hype of the race and try to keep up with fellow runners......know your pace/limitations and stick to them.

Enjoy!

Reply to Boyscout
Posted by: Tes | 2009-03-16

Of course it' s possible!! Just pace yourself in the beginning and take in lots of carbohydrates from 4 days before race day and have a good breakfast 3hrs before the race.
Good Luck Tazz!!!!!

Reply to Tes