Question
Posted by: Jo | 2011-08-02

Hairloss and dry patches on skin

I''''m really hoping that you will be able to help me. I''m a 26 year old female and I''ve been suffering with severe hairloss since may this year. I''ve been to a dermatologist and she adviced me that it is female pattern baldness, probably caused by a hormone imbalance. I asked her if it could not be eczema but she said nothing indicated that it is that.

My scalp burns and itches, or it itches so much it burns ( i hope tha makes sense, at my hairline there is the clear skin scaps , almsost like fish scales, also on my face I have these funny weird dry patches.
Could it be eczema? What can I do to prevent the hairloss and stop the burning of my scalp,

My hair is falling out in clumps and you can see the hair thinning.

Is there something I can get over a counter with out a precribtion, I cant afford the R450 to go back to the dermatologist or if I need a scrip can my gp provide me with one?

Thanks so much

J

Eczema is a chronic skin condition and represents a group of skin disorders that the have the following symptoms: dryness and flaking of the skin, redness, cracking, swelling of the affected area, clear scabbing etc. These symptoms can be localised to an area of the head and face or spread over the entire body.

It is possible that you have a form of eczema. You can use Denorex shampoo that is available over the counter at pharmacies. Allergax antihistamine tablets (also available over the counter) can be taken two to three times daily to alleviate the itching. A cortico-steroid cream will be helpful, especially where the skin effected.

If there is no improvement, I suggest that you get a second opinion from a dermatologist.