Posted by: Christine | 2012-09-20

Hair Loss/Itchy scalp

Good morning Doctor

Kindly give me advise on the following. I have for the past 2 years been experiencing hair loss. My hair grows to a certain length then it becomes brittle and breaks. i have used numerous shampoos and conditions specifically for brittle hair but to no avail. I have tried to change my diet include omega 3 oils, avocados, fruit nd veg etc. For the last month I strted experiencing a heavy itching scalp. It itches the entire day. There are no pimples or sores on my scalp and I keep it moisturised. Kindly advice what i can do to resolve these issues?
Thanks Doc

Expert ImageNatural health

hi Christine

The omega oils you are taking is for sure the first step. You might not be taking a high enough dose oil to give you a therapeutic effect. Most people only look at the mg component - which most of this is 1000mg. One needs to look at the EPA DHA strength. Suitable would be anything higher than EPA 300 DHA 200. Also make sure it is not farmed fish (most of the cheaper oils on the market) as these contains higher amounts of dioxins. When you take the oil in the above strength take 3 tabs for the first month then take 2 daily there after.

If you experiencing itchiness then there might be fungal component. Add to your shampoo essential oils of Rosemary (stimulates roots to grow) and Ti-tree (treats fungal component). Have you other wise determined the cause of hair loss ? e.g. thyroid, stress, iron deficiency ? If not then these needs to be addressed.

Kind regards
Dr Debbie