Question
Posted by: Kim | 2010-09-08

Hair loss and red skin

Please help me.

I have a toy pom cross miniature chiwawa and her hair is falling out and her skin is red and itchy and scabs form on her skin. I was her bedding once a week and she also has a bath once a week. I use baby shampoo on her. Do you think fleas could be doing this to my doggie? Is there something that someone can recommend?

Hi Kim

There are many skin conditions that can present with the clinical sign's similar to what you have described on your toy pom x.

Fleas can if present cause skin problems - you need to check the skin for fleas/flea dirt and if present treat her (+ other pets) and the environment.

Please do not use baby shampoo as this will augment the condition as it can dry the skin - use an animal shampoo.

I suspect that you will have to visit your vet to get medication to resolve the iritation - antihistamine +/- cortisone

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-09-08

Hi Kim

Reply to CyberVet