Question
Posted by: Kim | 2013-02-18

Hair loss

This is a toughie. I am very stressed. In menopause. On drugs that cause hair loss. I have a large mop of hair, but one patch is sore on my scalp and I am losing hair there. My GP is going bald and said he is the wrong one to ask. He told me to see a trichologist and my gynae told me to go to a dermatologist.
I do not really have money to waste. What would my best bet be and do these people understand that stress affects the hair? Physical or mental and what doctor to start with?
Can anybody recommend someone in the Western Cape near to Table View or Southern Suburbs?

PL< sorry to hear about this, but not really a psychiatric question, is it ? Needs to be discussed with your gynae ( doe you HAVE to be on drugs which cause hair-loss ? ) and dermatologist. A dermatologist is a specialist in the skin and all its attachments like hair, and the right person to see. I see no reason to assume there's any significant mental problem at play here, unless you have formed the habit of tugging at and pulling out your own hair, in which case some psuychologists might be able to help, and the dermatologist, having ideentified this as the problems, should know some with relevant experience in thsi field. I don't recemmend a trichologist at all - NOT a recognized or properly certifed member of the health professions.

2
Posted by: CP MOM | 2013-02-19

Due to drastic weight loss over a short time I have the same problem. I went for blood tests and it was revealed that my iron levels where dangerously low...i was given a iron drip - R780.00 and then Elocon oil (as small as eye drops bottle) to put on my hair and also iron tablets Chela-Fer.

All this seems to have helped as my hair no longer falls out.

Hope it helps you.

Reply to CP MOM
Posted by: Ella | 2013-02-18

I also lost hair recently and the doctor (a GP) told me that it can be due to stress, thyroid problems, iron deficiency and hormonal problems? I think a gynae will be the best option. I don''t know if your pharmacy has it in stock, but I was prescribed a shampoo called " Alpecin"  (about R100 at Clicks and Dischem) . It work like a bomb! Don''t use conditioner with it, apparently it " softens"  the hair and loosen it''s " grip"  . My scalp burned on the spot where the hair mostly fell out. I am using a mixture of Placenta, Bay rum and bergamot essence to spray on may scalp . Not a pleasant smell, but its working.

Reply to Ella