Question
Posted by: jean | 2011-10-28

hair loss

whenever i wash my hair i lose a lot of hair, i can very easily just give a gentle tug and a whole clump comes lose from my head. some of the hair in the bath looks like its been snipped with a scissors, the texture of my hair is very " breakable" 

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Jean, thank you for the question and my apologies for the delay with my response.

This is a difficult question to answer over the net as there are a number of causes of sudden hair loss and most of them require blood tests and/or skin biopsies. Your best option would be to see a dermatologist or your family doctor who can investigate further.

For completeness sake I have listed all the causes of hair loss below - hair loss is divided into a number of broad groups:
The differential diagnosis of diffuse, extensive, sub acute and chronic non-scarring hair loss in women include:
Telogen effluvium: stress related or after pregnancy, or sfter significant weight loss
Androgenic alopecia: usually genetic and typically has no hormonal changes
Sex hormone abnormalities
Iron deficiency: iron levels normal so further in depth tests required
Thyroid disease
Connective tissue disease
Drug induced alopecia
Alopecia areata: some causes include Tinea capitis, secondry syphilis, and frontal fibrosing alopecia
Scarring alopecia(I would definitely look into these):
Infection: bacterial, fungal, viral
External injury
Neoplasms
Inflammatory dermatoses: SLE, lichen planus, scleroderma, Sarcoidosis, necrobiosis lipoidica
Blistering disorders: cicatricial pemphigoid, porphyria cutanea tarda, epidormolysis bullosa

2
Posted by: Linda | 2011-11-07

I have tremendous hair loss the last 3 months, I am in menopause stadium for last 2 years. Had hair loss 9 months ago for about 2 months, became better and started again. Using lots of vitamins, went for thyroid blood test May and was normal, my GP wants me again to do thyroid test and gave a prescription of Finpecia, is this save to be used by women and could the test differ any after just 6 months, I do have all the symptons of underactive Thyroid, what else do we have to look for, I can''t deal with this, please

Reply to Linda
Posted by: charmaine hill | 2011-10-28

My daughter has exactly the same problem as Jean (above) and we have consulted with our doctor who prescribed a tarr based shampoo which has helped slightly but not gotten rid of the problem as we were told (by doctor &  pharmacist) It is also unwise to use on a continuous basis due to " toxins"  in the shampoo. My daughter also has a scalp condition which has been diagnosed as " dry"  scalp different to that of dandruff insomuch as she has a " paste"  which can literally be scraped off her scalp (unlike dandruff which are white flakes). Another doctor wanted to put her on tablets as she is quite an uptight person which we declined. Would love if someone could offer some insight into this problem. Charmainex

Reply to charmaine hill