Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2011/04/07

HAIR LOSS

Due to a gastric bypass I suffer from mal-absorbtion of vitamins and protein and have rapidly thinning hair. Please help.

Dear Michelle
I trust that your post-gastric bypass diet is being monitored by a dietitian? If not, please do consult a dietitian to help you ensure that you do not develop deficiencies. The nutrient that is usually associated with hair loss, is iron. If you do have an iron deficiency (ask the dr to test for this if he/she has not already done so), then the following foods are rich in readily absorbable iron: liver, red meat, fish, egg yolk, iron-fortified breakfast cereals, maize meal porridge and wheat bread (all maize meal and wheat bread sold in SA is fortified with iron by government regulation), and dried fruit. Having a glass of orange juice or half a grapefruit with your iron-fortified cereal will help your body absorb the iron more efficiently. If your doctor has determined that you are iron-deficient then he will prescribe an iron-folic acid supplement to help your body recover its iron stores. This can take time (3 months or more). In severe iron deficiency the dr can prescribe intravenous iron. Discuss these options with the dr who is overseeing you after the gastric bypass. He/she may also prescribe amino acid mixtures to boost your protein intake. If the thinning hair does not improve within 3 months on the iron therapy then I would recommend that you consult a Dermatologist, because hair loss can be causes by a variety of other factors such as stress.

1

Dear Michelle