Question
Posted by: sh | 2008-11-13

HAIR DYE IN PREGNANCY

MY WIFE IS 4 MONTHS AND 2 WEEKS PREGNANT. THIS WILL BE HER 3RD CHILD BUT MY 1ST. SINCE HER LAST CHILD THERE IS A 17 YEAR DIFFERENCE. CAN SHE USE HAIR DYE, SHE HAS HYPEREMIS GUVARDIM, WAS HOSPITALISED 3 IN THE LAST 7 MONTHS, TWICE FOR THE LATTER CONDITION. VOMITTING HAS SUBSIDED BUT SPITTING EXCESSIVELEY. BLOOD RESULTS INDICATE SHE AT RISK BECAUSE SHE IS POSITIVE FOR TRISOMY 21 SCREEN, ANTE NATAL SCREENING, PREDICTIVE TEST. SHE IS 39 YEARS OF AGE, DOB 09 02 1969. SHE IS EXPEXTED TO GO TO GYNAE/OBSTETRICIAN FOR A HIGH RESOLUTION SCAN THAT COST ABOUT R 1 000,00. PLEASE ADVISE. CONCERNED HUSBAND, TG 2008.11.13 THURSDAY 16H50

Very little hair dye is absorbed, so this will not affect the fetus.
In terms of the Down screen, she is following the correct route. An amniocentesis would give a definite result.

1
Posted by: mE | 2008-11-14

I would adviser her not too. I was pregnant last year and even though my hair looked terrible(I usually colour my hair evey 5 weeks) I decided to stick it out cos I had to decide what was more important, the health of my baby or looking good. Other people will disagree with me but I hav edone research and permanent dye is not safe in pregnancy

Reply to mE