Question
Posted by: Ang | 2010/12/15

Hair dye

I will be 12 weeks pregnant tomorrow, and want to know if it is safe for me to colour my hair.

Also, please clarify when the second trimester begins, as some books say from week 13, and others say from week 16.

Thanks.

Very little dye is absorbed, so you can dye your hair, though it doesn't always take properly in pregnancy. Most people would regard the second trimester as starting at Week 13.

3
Posted by: mplerim[TSDE] | 2011/02/21

Reply to mplerim[TSDE]
Posted by: Purple | 2010/12/17

It is only a thoeretical risk that hair dye might cause harm, there has never been a recorded case of it ever causing harm. The only real danger is that the dye won''t take properly and your hair might come out looking rather different to the colour you expected. It is quite safe for your baby if you dye your hair though.

Reply to Purple