Question
Posted by: anxious | 2008/06/04

HAEMMORHOIDS

In 2006 I was diagnosed with IBS after complaining about excruating cramp-type pain on my left side only, it didnt last long, but came on suddenly and kept coming back. My gynae said at the time it was colon related (I happened to be there for my annual check up and wondered if it was ovary related, he said no.) He referred me to the surgeon who I had been to previously for my haemmorhoid problem and after my surgeon did a colonoscopy he confirmed it seemed to be an IBS problem and put me onto Zelnorm for 3 mths - my pain vanished. On Tues last week the exact same pain came back and I had it again while in my gynae's rooms tjhe following day. He checked to make sure it wasnt gynae related (which he said it wasnt) but said I was so badly constipated, that probably had a lot to do with the pain. He gave me Dulcolax to use together with Glycerine suppositories and Movicol - I only used the suppositories a couple of times but have now finished the Movicol box - I am not convinced my bowel movements are totally back to normal. My gp suggested I now use Fybogel 2 a day and see what happens. Yest after coming home from my Walk for Life class my bum was so sore from what I know must be my haemmorhoids flaring up - the only thing that I have found to be of any help is Proctosedyl ointment which my surgeon gave me which works immediately and the pain disappears. I looked for some last night and found a tube in the bathroom cupboard. I was shocked to see the script label showed it as a few years ago, but then when I took it out of the box I saw it was in fact uponened (I had to pierce it to open it). My question is I was so desperate I used it and it worked perfectly and there appeared to be no problem with it, i.e. it didnt have a funny smell or anything like that and the color etc. was completely normal. Is there any reason why I cant carry on using it seeing its a completely new tube?

My surgeon mentioned when I saw him a few years ago about my haemmorhoids problem that he doenst generally recommend surgery as most of the time it doesnt work and the probem still comes back.

Thanks for the help.

Dear Anxious
It will probably still work although not as well as a new tube but if you find that it does give you relief, you can use it - especially as it was unopened and in a dark cupboard - it should not cause any damage.