Question
Posted by: Audrina | 2011-08-28

Haematuria

I am 12 wks pregnant and so far have had a trouble (and symptom) free pregnancy. I was due to see my obs/gynae this week but he had an emergency and is only available next week.

Prior to my pregnancy I was diagnosed with idiopathic haematuria. There is no pain or burning at all. But I always get a 4+ on the dipstick (no protein or glucose). My first morning urine is especially dark but after that it becomes light (I drink about 2.5 - 3 L water daily). My bp tends to be high normal and there is a strong tendency for hypertension and diabetes in my family. All the ladies who didn''t have high bp prior to being pregnant developed it during pregnancy.

This is my first pregnancy and I''ve had 5 IVFs to get here. I would like to know if the haematuria compromises my pregnacy in anyway ? Basically I am looking for some re-assurance.

Thank you for yoir help !

Who diagnosed the haematuria? I presume you had infection screens, kidney function tests, etc. If it is truly idiopathic, it should not affect your pregnancy. High blood pressure can be a problem though and this needs to be watched carefully.

2
Posted by: x | 2011-08-31

Hi Audrina,

Like the doc says if it really is idiopathic then you have nothing to worry about as there is nothing serious causing it. Did you have pelvic/abdominal xrays, CT scans, urine culture, ultrasounds and cystoscopy to check everything out ?? If so and you have no pain and nothing was found, then all should be fine and it truly is idiopathic in every sense.

Reply to x
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-08-30