Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2012-04-26

Haematoma

Good morning Doctor

My daughter was involved in a car accident in 2006. She sustained a broken coccyx, leg and pelvis in the accident. When she was allowed to stand up on her legs she noticed a huge swelling on her thigh - told her doctor and he said he hadn''t noticed it and they promptly took her to theatre to drain it. All these years later she still has this huge haematoma on the upper part of her leg which is very sensitive. Will this ever go away or does it stay forever.

She has another haematoma (bruising) on her calf as well which swells and goes blue if she stands on it for too long.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
Jenny

Jenny

I suggest that your daughter consults a general surgeon for an examination and ultrasound of the areas of concern. There might be a surgical solution to her problem. Haematomas are usually absorbed by the body and should disappear spontaneously.