Question
Posted by: ntombikayishelwa ndlovu | 2009-09-22

had unprotected sex 2 mnths back

i had unprotected sex 2 months back afta 2weeks i started ma periods. den a month after dat i had unprotected sex again. bt this tym my periods are delayed cos i have had this flu for 3 weeks n m stressed. da last tym i tested ma self bt twas in da afternoon it said negative . n i menstruated for lyk 2 months , n recently o have this itch, irrtitation n it burns when i scratch in my vagina n i wanted to knw is dat a sign dat i may be pregnant n also is it possible 2 be pregnant whilst menstruating . and is it still safe for me to abort.

desperate and scared

There are a number of issues to address here: Firstly, the very itchy vaginal irritation is not a sign of pregnancy but is possibly a ‘yeast’ infection. The chemist can provide treatment for this common condition. The itching should be relieved very quickly. Secondly, very occasionally someone may have a few days of bleeding at the beginning of a pregnancy and think it is a period. However, in these cases a pregnancy test will still show positive. Thirdly, abortion can only be done when you have a confirmed pregnancy. Legally, you can have a termination of pregnancy on demand up until 12 weeks. Marie Stopes offer counselling and testing (www.mariestopes.co.za). I strongly advise you to start a reliable method of contraception and use condoms to prevent infections. Visit the SA Sexual Health Association website for more information www.sexualhealth.co.za

3
Posted by: Chris | 2009-09-23

How can you be so dom to go without a condom, you are in big trouble now, let it be a lesson for you!

Reply to Chris
Posted by: Sisi | 2009-09-22

Ntombi - how do you do that to yourself in this day and age? Fine maybe you are having unprotected sex with your husband or boyfriend whose status you know... but then again - how do you have sex and not take emergency contraceptives or ARV' s??? the information is out there... maybe this is rich as i have my own mistakes, but i feel that you could' ve done something about it.

I don' t know how old you are but an itchy vagina could be a sign that you have contracted an STI, and yes it' s possible to have your periods when youre pregnant - it seldom happens, but it does happen.

Eish, good luck sisi. i think you should get tested for HIV before worrying about abortion!

NB: Prevention is better than cure!

Reply to Sisi
Posted by: Woman | 2009-09-22

Never mind pregnant, what about HIV/AIDS, Gonorrhoea , Syphilis and all the other diseases you can get??? Go to your nearest clinic, get tested, have an abortion if you need to, but please don' t think AIDS can' t happen to you. It can, and it will if you carry on having unprotected sex. Oh, and did I mention that if you have an abortion now, you will never, never forget it?

Reply to Woman