Posted by: Fanie Kotze | 2009-01-12

H2O2 - anti ageing tonic with benefits

Hallo Doctor Nikolic,

I first heard about this through a person that told me about Dr Christiaan Barnard using H2O2 (Pharmaceutical Grade/CP Grade) in dilution as a tonic to mainly kerb the body' s ageing process. There are an abundance of articles and write-ups on this topic, with even more apparent benefits from using this inexspensive, yet seemingly effective alternative health treatment. Does not appear to be an over night solution/cure, but the body' s detrioration(ageing) takes place over a long time therefore instant improvement can not be expected. Obviously to be used with caution as in concentrated form can be lethal. What is your take on this topic in terms of a potential homeopathic treatment for general improvementof health and yes, slowing down the ageing process of the body and it' s cells?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Fanie, thank you for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer as there are 2 schools of thought with the use of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) in the human body. The first time H2O2 was used successfully in humans was in 1920 during a Flu epidemic and subsequent to that a further study published in the 1980’s described the intravenous use and dosages for patients with chronic diseases.
Doctors against the use of H2O2 state (and correctly so) that H2O2 is an oxidizing agent and as such produces oxidative free radicals that are harmful to our bodies.
Following from the above, it is my opinion that one should be extremely careful before considering the use of H2O2 as an anti-ageing treatment. It would be wiser to wait for conclusive evidence that verifies its effectiveness.