Question
Posted by: Tania | 2012/10/13

gynea visit

Not sure if I''m in the right place. I was sexually abused as a child and raped as a young adult, problem is when I go for my yearly check-up with the gynae I always feel down and depressed the next day. I am comfortable with her and have been with her for many years. are my feeling normal? Is there something wrong with me?

Whilst not everyone with your trauma history will respond in the same way necessarily; I don't consider your response abnormal either. I would encourage you to try to think about the thoughts that go through your mind when your going, or having the examination, in order to try to identify what the associations are that might explain the dip in mood... If this is the one negative consequence that you experience from these sexual traumas, then you appear to have done very well to adjust/cope! Many people remain highly traumatised and unable to cope...so well done; you must have done something very well.

Claire - SASHA

1
Posted by: sexologist | 2012/10/13

Claire - SASHA

Reply to sexologist