Question
Posted by: sussie | 2011/10/18

Gyne to far

We have been trying for 1 year 2 months. I was at my gyne after 6 months. He put me on fertomid 2 months 50mg and 2 months 100mg. I can''t go to him every now and then because we live 300km from him. He now insisted on a laparoscopy as the next step. But I''m not sure. I stoped the fertomid for 2 cycles and used it again this month. Is it safe to use this without visiting the gyne? I do the charting thing now for 3 months. I menstruate every month, don''t have painfull periods. I was in an accident 3 and a half years ago while 6 months pregnant but lost the baby.

Dear Sussie

The use of Fertomid without prescription should be discouraged and I would strongly consider the laparoscopy as your next step in particular to exclude endometriosis or other pelvic pathology. The use of ovulation charting is crude and inaccurate and instead I would recommend the use of the urine LH testing kits such as Clearplan which is far more accurate and sensitive. However given your history I suspect that there might be additional pathology contributing to your fertility problem. Prior to the laparoscopy I would recommend that your partner has a semen analysis done and if significant problems are found with the sperm analysis then alternative treatments may be necessary and one can sometimes avoid the laparoscopy.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/10/25

Dear Sussie

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert