Question
Posted by: Tamarin | 2010/04/26

Gynae Visits

Hi, doctor do I need to have an internal exam with a gynae even though i never had sex before  and I am 25 years old. I am just a bit concerned that I''ve waited too long, and that complications could have been avoided. I have gone to a gynae before but she just did an ultrasound scan. I wasn''t really happy with that.

You do not need an internal examination if you have never been sexually active. You need only see a gynaecologist if you have symptoms, such as abnormal periods.

2

Posted by: Purple | 2010/04/26

If you have no problems with your periods, then you don''t need to see a gynae if you have not had intercourse before.

The annual visit is mainly to do a pap smear which is a test for cervical cancer (or at least for abnormal cells), the virus that causes this is the human papiloma virus which is transmitted in sperm (its a sexually transmitted disease), so if you have never had sex, you aren''t at risk of getting it.

Make sure you do a breast self exam every month and perhaps visit your GP every year to do the same. When you do start having sex, visit a gynae within a year.
Before that, you only need to visit if there is an actual problem.

Why don''t you have the new cervical cancer vaccine? THat way you can avoid ever needing a pap smear.

Reply to Purple