Question
Posted by: Amon | 2009/10/15

Gynae Visit

I have a new gynae, and he refused to let my husband accompany me into the exam room, which I requested. Is he allowed to refuse my husband access, and why would a doctor worry about a husband present for a general check up and pap. Should I try find another doc, or is this normal in South Africa

This is quite normal. Partners come in for the talking but not for the examination. There are times when doctors need to be able to ask sensitive questions without the partner present. For example, you might not wish to mention painful sex with your partner there, while it might be quite important to the assessment.

5
Posted by: B | 2009/10/19

Painful sex should be discussed with the husband, but I would never let my husband view the exam, but he is more than welcome at the discussion, love to hear others opinions

Reply to B
Posted by: amon | 2009/10/19

There is nothing I cant talk about in front of my husband, and he also prefers to be present. When does the patient decide, and if the questions are the private arena, then why not have the discussion private and invite the husband in for the examination

Reply to amon

Posted by: fufu | 2009/10/16

Change Gynae plz

Reply to fufu
Posted by: Nini | 2009/10/15

This is not normal! Your husband should be allowed, it' s your appointment after all? I am no expert, but I would consider my options if my gynea refused my husband access to something so personal. Good luck, I might b e wrong, but based on my personal experience, my husband is there with me on all my appointments, and I would not have it any other way.

Reply to Nini