Question
Posted by: Horsiechic | 2012/10/10

gynae or gp

hi doc...

this might sound like a weird question but i''m a little confused what to do.

I''m 28 and went last year for my first " female checkup"  went to the gp and all she did was a pap smear, i had explained to her that my mom had this massive ovarian cyst that they thought might be cancerous and some how I expected more out of the consultation than just a pap smear and a do you do your monthly breast exams? would you like me to check them for you?

this year for the dreaded annual check up I''m not sure, do I find another gp or do i go to a gynea. my mom passed away this year from ovarian cancer so i am a little paranoid and want to be checked properly. can i just go to any gynae or do i need a referral or can a gp do the job??

please help

Apart from the pap smear I presume that your GP did an internal examination. This should pick up any problems with the uterus or ovaries. It is unlikely at your age that you would have ovarian cancer. Your GP should be able to do your check-ups but, if you are not happy, then see a gynae. These days many people go straight to the gynae without a referral. If you don't know of anyone, then ask your GP to refer you.

5
Posted by: Horsiechic | 2012/10/15

Thanks for all the advice.
@ Gynaedoc - that''s what worried me this doctor ONLY did the pap smear and breast exam. I was expecting an internal as well but nothing.
I am going to go to a different GP this year as I need a referral to a gynae for the medical aid to pay so if I''m still worried I will ask for the referral. Thanks so much for clarifying.

Reply to Horsiechic

Posted by: N | 2012/10/11

I meant to say " if"  anything is found, sorry. And yes, absolutely, you can just make an appointment, you do not need a referral to a gynaecologist.

Reply to N
Posted by: N | 2012/10/11

Breast exams are adequately done by GP''s and Gynae''s - remember this is not necessarily a gynae''s area of expertise. In other words both can do it and will refer you if necessary or anything is found. As far as the ovarian cancer goes, a gynae would be the best choice for you (but you need to please explain and emphasise your Mom''s history - please please).

Reply to N
Posted by: Tanya | 2012/10/10

Probably better to see a Gynae who is a Specialist in this field.
In my experience you can make the appointment yourself and dont need a referral.

Reply to Tanya