Question
Posted by: Nikki | 2010-09-08

gynae diagnosed me incorrectly so i missed 12 wk scan

I am terribly upset about the above incident. I went to the Gynea and it was supposed to be my 12 wk scan, he told me i was only 8wks. I then went back in 4 weeks to a sonographer this time and she confirmed i was definately 16.5 wks. I have now missed the most accurate downs syndrome scan! I have now gone for blood tests and tested positive for downs. Due also to my age i think, 34 now. I now have to go for another scan and amnio synthesis which is going to cost me in excess of R5k.
what recourse do i have, i am so upset about this! I am almost 18wks &  only have 2wks to decide if i wld need to abort if there was an issue... :-( Please advise me. Thank you.

Firstly I am surprised that an error of 4 weeks was made. Did the gynae scan you, or was this just using your dates?
It is unfortunate that you missed the 12 week screening , but the blood tests at 16 weeksalthough not quite as accurate, are still a good screeni9ng method. If you have screened positive here, it is likely that you would have screened positive with the 12 week testing as well. I am not sure why you are paying so much. An amniocentesis should cost under R1000 for the procedure and about R1000 - R1500 for the lab testing.
In terms of your recourse, there has not been any medical mishap. You have still been screened. Your only complaint would be the anxiety of a later test and you probably wouldn't get any compensation for that.You could write to the HPCSA if you wanted to complain about the gynaecologist.

3
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-09-12

Posted by: Anon | 2010-09-09

Due to many questions posted by many people gynaedoc might only be able to get back to you by Monday or Next Wednesday. And she only answer questions twice weekly. I know of two very very good gynaecologists at Flora clinic but to get an appointment is very difficult as a first timer. Your gynae is very slow for someone that''s in that profession especially to make such a huge error. Try another gynae if you want I could email their contact details to you.

Take care.

Posted by: Star | 2010-09-09

I am so sorry, really don''t know what to tell you except, that I would change drs. Which means when you were there the first time you were 12 wks?

I cannot even imagine to think what must be going through your head and DH head. Could you not get an emergency app with a diffrent Gynea to discuss your options calmly?

Reply to Star