Posted by: Concerned | 2009-03-30

I need to change my gynae as he has moved rooms and now works at a hospital which is quite out of the way for me. I have been consulting with him for years and he delivered my first baby so he has my whole history. I had an emrgency c section with my first baby and I am trying to fall pregnant with my second which I would like to consider vbac if everything is on track and there are no complications. Please can you tell me what the normal procedure is for changing doctors? Do I need to ask my previous doctor for my medical file and will he give it to me or will it be transferred to my new doctor. What information on the history of my first pregnancy will my new gynae need especially if I am considering a vbac? Do you think it is advisable to change gynae' s for a new pregnancy or should I rather travel to my old gynae? My concern is an emergency?

You should tell your previous doctor that you want to change and he will either give the file to you or send it to your doctor. The type of caesarean and details of the operation would be important. As long as this information is available to your ndw doctor, there shouldn't be a problem with changing.