Posted by: Hannah | 2012-01-17

Gymming Questions

Hi there, I am hoping you can help me. I like to go to gym at least three times a week, then on weekends I walk my dog, sometimes only 20 minutes, sometimes over 40 minutes (depending). I work for a doctor and sometimes though cannot get to the gym three times a week, sometimes I only get to go as little as once a week. I have a routine –  day one double time on the treadmill, day two treadmill then upper body weights, day three lower body weights, then if I get to go a fourth day (it’ s usually a Friday), I do double time on the treadmill PLUS all over weights. I think it’ s a good routine, but as I say I don’ t always get to go as often as I’ d like. My question is, those weeks where I DON’ T get to go at least three times, maybe I get to go only once or twice, what areas should I be focusing on? Should I focus on cardio? Do double time on the cardio or should I spend the whole session doing weights? I am usually there for about 40 minutes, I stop on my way home. Thank you.

Hi Hannah

I think the "luxury" that your time constraints give you (if there is such a thing) is that you can manipulate the session however you fancy. You can, for example, do something different every week, depending on what you feel. Obviously, the situation you want to avoid is one where for three consecutive weeks, you do nothing for the legs, or the arms, or zero running, because you would then lose some of the progress.

SO I think you need to make a call each week, and decide whether you need to do legs, or arms, or run/walk based on the week before. If you have a normal week, and then the next one is time constrained, you can pretty much select whichever you'd enjoy more at the time. I'd say that if you want a "neutral" start point, doing a 20 min cardio plus arms on Day 1 and then 20 min cardio and then legs on Day 2 is the best bet.

But you could do entirely arms, and entirely legs. The nice thing is that in one week, you won't lose any gains from the week before.

however, let's say the next week is also a 2 day week. Then you may have to alternate. If you did only weights in Week 1, then do cardio in week 2, so that you keep doing a comprehensive plan, but spread out.

Hope that makes sense?