Posted by: nn | 2011-01-28

I have decided that 2011 will be the year that I get super fit. So my gym partner and I will be doing gym 5 times a week. Monday –  Abs and power plates. Tuesday –  circuit. Wednesday –  Zumba or Tai Chi. Thursday –  step and sculpt. Sunday –  yoga. So you can see that it is pretty mixed and we have a busy schedule. What I need is something that will help me recover (from stiffness and sore muscles) more quickly. Also my arms, butt and thighs tend to get bigger (well I guess it is the muscle) and then my clothes get tight on me. I really do not want to go out and buy new clothes. How do I prevent this from happening?

Hi nn

Good for you!

The stiffness will pass, as long as you are consistent. There is nothing you can eat or drink to prevent this - only training and teaching the muscles how to work will do that.

In terms of recovery, high carb and protein is the answer, and that is best taken in an hour or two after training, not later. I'm a big fan of diet - if you eat well, then any money spent on supplements is actually wasted because you're getting it all anyway. So I'd say focus on your diet and make sure you get a high carb and protein meal in after that gym session.

The way to avoid getting bulky is to avoid high resistance training. You're doing quite a bit with weights, which may cause it. Keep the weight down and keep the intensity and number of reps up. In other words, don't lift heavy and strained, rather do "cardio" type training, higher volume and lower intensity.

Good luck!