Posted by: Jenna | 2011-06-25

Gymming 2

Hi doc, your answer doesn''t show on my question so I don''t know what you said, but in anycase I have an update. I start with 20 minutes on the treadmill, and I usually keep my speed between 5.5 and 6.5, with my incline quite high at 10. So I burn quite a few calories. Then I go off to the weights, I use a lot of the machines now, but I usually only do one set of each (I am time restricted). I use now 11 weight machines, for my thighs, butt, stomach, arms, back, stomach, calves, etc. So I spend about 40 minutes at the gym. On Fridays I do double time on the treadmill, and more sets on the weight machines. Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays I don''t gym (I work late and over the weekends I clean the flat and walk the dog). I have lost just under a kilo in 3 weeks and this is without changing my diet (which I will do eventually). I do understand that people tend to gain weight at gym so I''m happy with my loss. My question, should I squeeze in more sets, do faster reps, or should I continue what I''m doing now and wait until I feel stronger, more able to do the faster reps?

Hi Jenna

OK, I'm back, sorry about the first one - sometimes that happens and I have no idea why.

OK, so here we go.

I think given your time constraints you have two options. One is to spread the training out, to split those 11 into days and then double the sets. I wouldn't change the speed of the reps - slower is actually better, it isolates the muscle better, whereas going fast gives one a way to 'cheat' using momentum! Adding sets means you obviously you have to split the session. A good split is stomach and arms one day, back and legs the next.

The other option is to simply increase the mass, or the reps, but keep the session the same otherwise. That would increase muscle mass gain. You could also increase the number of reps. Ididn't see how many you do on each currently, but 15 would be a good place to be. After that, increase the sets.

As you say, your progress so far is good - you just need to be patient and focus on being stronger and fitter!