Question
Posted by: Crumbs | 2010-04-19

Gyming like mad, but not seeing results

I''ve post a similar question on FitnessDoc''''s forum, but wanted to find out if I should stick to what I''''m doing or change (and if so, to what). I gym 4 times a week - I attend a private gym class with women of varying ages (I''''m 25, but there are women over 60 in the class) and the focus seems to be on light cardio, toning and some resistance training. After 4 months I haven''''t lost any weight on the scale, and my clothing in some instances is tighter on me - particularly on my thighs and bum. I''''ve started cycling for 20 minutes before/after gym to increase the amount of cardio I''''m doing and try and do extra cycling at the weekend to keep myself active.

I haven''''t placed too much emphasis on dieting, mostly because I don''''t have much time in the evenings to prepare food correctly for work the next day. In general, however, I don''''t eat breads and high-fat foods (I''''m very aware of food labels and only buy fresh vegetables and low fat proteins from the shops) so my daily intake is around 7000kj a day. I know bringing this down to 5000kj a day will likely produce better results, but I enjoy going out every now and then and drinking the odd glass of wine, so I don''''t want to mess too much with my eating.

Should I stick out the gym routine for a while longer, or switch to something totally different? Will the gym be enough to, over the next 6 months, help me lose the weight (I''''d like to lose 8kgs)? I have become much stronger as a result of gym, but am not really seeing the changes in mass and clothing size.

Is there a way to adjust my diet without cutting out all the fun. I struggle to eat in the mornings, and when I force myself to do so, I usually gain weight. (I recently tried eating fruit, low GI cereal and yoghurt for breakfast for a few months and it really seemed to backfire on me)

Advice?

Dear Crumbs
Because you don't list your present weight in kg and height in metres, I cannot calculate your BMI to see if your weight is already in the normal range or if your desire to lose 8 kg is necessary and/or feasible! While aerobic exercise is an excellent aid to weightloss, it usually does not induce pronounced weightloss (like the 8 kg you want to lose) on its own. You do need to combine your exercise with a slimming diet of about 6300 kJ by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). From your description of the gym class you attend the intensity of the exercise does not sound intensive enough to produce significant weightloss. It is good that you have added extra cycling to the regimen. Either discuss your exercise schedule with the instructor or join up with another class that is more active.
But make sure that your goal of 8 kg is realistic otherwise you are going to be disappointed.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-04-20

Dear Crumbs