Question
Posted by: Crumbs | 2010/04/19

Gyming 4-5 a week for 4 months, no results

I''ll post a similar question on DietDoc''s forum, but wanted to find out if I should stick to what I''m doing or change (and if so, to what). I gym 4 times a week - I attend a private gym class with women of varying ages (I''m 25, but there are women over 60 in the class) and the focus seems to be on light cardio, toning and some resistance training. After 4 months I haven''t lost any weight on the scale, and my clothing in some instances is tighter on me - particularly on my thighs and bum. I''ve started cycling for 20 minutes before/after gym to increase the amount of cardio I''m doing and try and do extra cycling at the weekend to keep myself active.

I haven''t placed too much emphasis on dieting, mostly because I don''t have much time in the evenings to prepare food correctly for work the next day. In general, however, I don''t eat breads and high-fat foods (I''m very aware of food labels and only buy fresh vegetables and low fat proteins from the shops) so my daily intake is around 7000kj a day. I know bringing this down to 5000kj a day will likely produce better results, but I enjoy going out every now and then and drinking the odd glass of wine, so I don''t want to mess too much with my eating.

Should I stick out the gym routine for a while longer, or switch to something totally different? Will the gym be enough to, over the next 6 months, help me lose the weight (I''d like to lose 8kgs)? I have become much stronger as a result of gym, but am not really seeing the changes in mass and clothing size.

Advice?

The idea that you can reduce energy intake and lose weight might not actually work - you may in fact find that you gain weight by doing this, because your body conserves energy. ANd by extension, it might be that you would actually lose weight by increasing your daily energy intake. I know that sounds bizarre, but we see a lot of people who struggle to lose weight, until they actually eat more, not less!

Your exercise seems ok - I would say that months in, you should probably be trying to do a little more of the higher intensity training. I'd say you should be averaging 45 minutes to an hour, and if you could train 5 days a week, it would help. I'd rather you added one day a week than 30 minutes a day, if you follow my argument.

The training has clearly helped you, you're stronger and fitter, so that's good. But you may need to make subtle changes to lose weight - you don't have too much to lose, perhaps, and that last hurdle is tough to clear sometimes.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/04/30

Reply to fitnessdoc