Question
Posted by: SJ | 2010/12/20

Gym Questions

I have just joined a gym and I would like to check 2 things. Firstly, I am the unfortunate owner of keloid scars. I have one on my right arm on the side at the elbow point and another one on my left upper arm. Sometimes when I lift something heavy, the keloid on my right arm will become a little purple. Would weight lifting be a problem or could I go ahead and lift weights without concern of any serious side effect?
My second question relates to the keloid on my left upper arm. It is the result of a pellet gun shot and the ''not so successful'' operation to remove the pellet from my arm. The Doctor who performed the surgery couldn''t remove the pellet because it''s to close to a nerve left it in, saying there would be no complications if it was left in. My second question is similar to the first  will weight lifting have a negative impact taking the pellet into consideration?

Thanks,
SJ

Hi SJ

I've never seen anything to suggest that weight lifting would affect the scars. The colour change is most likely related to circulation, which shouldn't affect it too much, so I would suspect that weight training is safe.

The second question, not quite as sure. There, you run the risk that the training causes a little irritation of the nerve, plus the pellet, and the two together cause a problem. That would most likely be minor, nothing really worrying, more annoying and I suspect reversed quite easily, because any after effects of exercise would pass quickly too. You won't know the answer to this one until you try the training and see what happens. If you start feeling numbness or burning (the two signs of neural irritation), then just ease off on the training, lower the weight and give it some time. I think it will be OK, but as I say, you'll only really know if you try.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/12/21

Hi SJ

Reply to fitnessdoc