Question
Posted by: Chanel | 2008/08/13

Gym machines?

Hi Doc I just like to know I do 8km at the gym a day testing in the car 8km is quiet far this I do in 30mins how acurate are gym machines cause I cant see that is possible. Also I gym 3 times a week 30-40min and Im wacthing what I eat. I weigh 61kg and wouild like to go down to at least 55kg how many Kg do you think I could lose in a month. What is the most kg you can lose in a week? Ive also notice that I battle to get air when I gym is this cause Im unfit is it something I should monitor. Thankx for the help.

Hi Chanel

Depends on the gym. Many don't prioritize the accuracy of the machines, because they do need to be calibrated with use, and you can imagine that the machines take a real pounding when they're used 18 hours a day!

8km in 30min is incredibly fast though ,it suggests that something is off, or that you're a real talented runner (we'll go with the latter!). I guess the only way to know this is to enter a race, where a course is accurately measured, and then you'll know - if you can do 10km in 40 minutes or faster, then you'll know that the machine is accurate.

As for your weight loss goals, that'a difficult one to answer. I suspect that you might be able to lose about 1kg per month, but you have to realise that you don't have a huge amount of weight to lose - you're not overweight at the moment, and so losing more than this is likely unrealistic. I would actually encourage you not to focus on trying to lose fast weight. The faster you lose it, the less likely it is to stay off. So focus on fitness for now and don't worry too much about the scale.

Finally, your lack of breathing might be a fitness thing, difficult to say. I suspect that in about 2 months, you'll look back on it and wonder what the fuss was about, because it is likely you'll be able to breathe just fine with some training. I wouldn't get a heart rate monitor just yet, rather use your perception to judge your training - 5 or 6 on a scale from 0 to 10 will be perfect intensity. If you struggle too much just slow ti down, give your body a chance, and eventually you'll be able to cope much better!