Question
Posted by: Jakes | 2009/10/12

Gym Diet

Good afternoon,

I would please like to know what your expert opinion is on the following:

Is it better to

a) Use gym suplements

or

b) Eat healthy and balanced food

Thanks so much.

Dear Jakes
In my opinion it is not necessary to spend money on gym supplements when you can achieve exactly the same results with a healthy diet and plenty of exercise. My opinion is based on the course I did at the University of Potchefstroom on Sport Nutrition. Gym supplements, except plain whey or carbo boosters and energy drinks or bars, can contain a potentially dangerous cocktail of compounds and usually also contain excessive amounts of vitamins and minerals which can also be harmful. I have written many articles on the subject of diets for sportsmen and women. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read articles 4, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 46 to obtain information about sport diets. There is also info on the Fitness site. Click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition'. The articles on carbs, carbo-loading and protein are probably the most relevant to your query. Also keep in mind that it takes time to build muscles and that you need to do strength exercises with weights to boost your muscles.