Question
Posted by: Despondant | 2009-07-17

Gym Bunny putting on weight-pls help

Hi-please could you give me some advice. I have been going to gym religiously for the past 4 years and have found that every year I am putting on weight (plus minus4 kg' s) on the scale but my clothes still fit and I look the same etc. I am relatively healthy and have not changed my eating patterns or changed my diet significantlky enough to be putting on so much weight. Will execrcising really make me bulk up enough to be putting on 4 kg' s a year or I am not eating the correct foods. Does execrcise cause water retention-how would I know if I retain???Please help as it is making me very despondant and I am ready to throw in the towel with execrcising.

Dear Despondant
Ironically muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue, so you could have less body fat, but weigh more. It is evident that if your clothes still fit that you have remained slim and trim. I can only suggest that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assess 1) your present weight, 2) your present diet to see if you are ingesting too much energy. If your diet should be the cause for your weight gain over the years, then the dietitian will assist you with a weightloss diet prescription.
Don't give up the exercise because it does keep you healthy and fit.