Posted by: Despondant | 2009-07-17

Gym Bunny-putting on weight-please help.

Hi-please could you give me some advice. I have been going to gym religiously for the past 4 years and have found that every year I am putting on weight (plus minus3 kg'  s) on the scale but my clothes still fit and I look the same-I can notice that I am more muscley . I am healthy and have not changed my eating patterns or changed my diet significantlky enough to be putting on so much weight. Will execrcising really make me bulk up enough to be putting on 4 kg'  s a year or I am not eating the correct foods. Does execrcise cause water retention-how would I know if I retain???Please help as it is making me very despondant and I am ready to throw in the towel with execrcising.

It's possible that the change is muscle related, but I must confess that the length of time over which this has happened is unusual. That is, you don't normally find this kind of consistent increase. Water retention also can't explain it - you cannot possibly store 12kg of water, which is the implication if this was water retention. So it's not that, to dismiss at least one possibility.

I'm not sure how old you are - it is expected that with age, weight rises, because muscle mass gradually declines and so we tend to increase non-lean mass unless our diet changes. Therefore, the only thing in my opinion that could change the weight this consistently year on year is a problem with diet. I cannot see any other factor, unless your exercise routine has been very up and down and inconsistent. So I think it's diet, simply because of the length of time over which this has happened. THings like muscle mass, blood volume, etc are all short term and change quickly, they don't last years.

Posted by: Ilana | 2009-07-21

Q: I also struggle with the same problem, I train 4 -5 days a week doing cardio and weight training for about 30-40min, I eat my 6 meals a day cabs and pro' s and stil gain weight. Bit by bit i' ll gain a kilo + in 2 weeks. Where am I going wrong? Please help!

Reply to Ilana
Posted by: Fitifanatic | 2009-07-19

From one gym bunny to another - it' s the fact that you EXERCISE regularly that is important. The health spinoffs are to great to give it up because of weight not lost. The older you get, the more you will benefit by keeping fit. I am almost 50, have been going at it for years and am in better shape than I was at 20! If your clothes still fit as always, what is your hassle? I find that when I go to gym first thing in the morning (at 5h00!) I tend to lose more weight. All the best!

Reply to Fitifanatic