Question
Posted by: PABALLO ELIZABETH MAHABUKE | 2011/04/07

gym and health risks

I am a female 58years old  weight is 140kg Iam 155cm in height, My waist is 46cm  hips 50cm. I have mild hypertension of 130/80-140/90 and I am on Ridaq 25mg half a tablet(Hydrochlorothiazide 12,5mg once daily. I HAVE JOINED A GYM AND i want to know which exercises can I do to be safe and to lose weight ultimately.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Paballo, thanks for your question. Firstly, I don't think your measurements can be correct!

If you are 1.55m in height and weigh 140kg, your waist circumference can't be 46cm, nor your hips 50cm! But no problem, the question is what exercise to do to help you lose weight.

The best would be aerobic or cardio- type exercises ie low intensity but sustained exercise. So the idea should be to exercise for at least half an hour at least five days a week, doing things like fast walking, jogging, cycling, rowing, etc.

But remember that exercise to be effective will have to be combined with a reduced calorie intake so that by burning more calories, and taking in less, you have a negative calorie balance - like your bank balance, but negative! So remember not to reward yourself - by snacking - after an exercise session!

The benefits of weight loss should be huge, and amonst other things you will almost certainly be able to stop the high-blood pressure medication you are taking.

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011/04/11

Reply to Cardiologist