Posted by: phoebe | 2008-10-30

gum disease

hi there - my cat has terrible gum disease at the moment and my vet has given me an oral rinse to put in his mouth twice a day. this is, however, not helping and he hasnt eaten for days - his mouth is so sore that he cannot even drink so i have been giving him liquids via a syringe. The vet has assured me that it will get better but i am really worried about dehydration and weight loss at the moment. What else can i do for him? He has just had his annual boosters recently so we cannot give him anything else for 2 weeks at least - is there anything else i can use to soothe his gums or help him fight the infection?

Dear Phoebe

Your cat needs intensive care and a possible course of antibiotic or even dental work. It may be worth doing a FIV test as this may be the underlying cause. Were do you get the 'had his booster and cant give him anything for 2 weeks' nonsense from???

Posted by: Chill | 2008-10-30

Apart from keeping in touch with your vet, which it sounds like you' re doing - get a tube of Nutristim - your vet should have it, or else I have seen it at Dischem. It' s a paste with a load of nutrients, they normally like it and will lick some off your finger - may help see him through!

Reply to Chill