Question
Posted by: Guitarist | 2012-07-15

Guitar and Back Problems

I''m a guitarist with mild scoliosis due to Marfan syndrome. I tried a back brace for a year, but it made no difference to it and the doctors decided not to continue with it.

I''m going into music professionally (and most of the time I play sitting down, which isn''t really a problem). What I''m worried about is when I play a gig standing up. A guitar can get heavy after 30-45 minutes of constant playing. Is there anything I can do to ease the tension it places on my back and avoid doing any damage?

I''ve heard some guitar straps are specifically designed to take the weight off (by redistributing it - they tend to be thicker and more of a harness than a strap), could that be the solution? I considered having a temporary back brace made for when I''m on stage, if necessary.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks doc!

I suggest that you consult a physiotherapist for exercise to strengthen your back and core muscles. You can use Myprodol capsules to alleviate the pain and apply a heat and cold compress. If you are concerned about damage to your spine, you will have to consult your doctor for x-rays. Your doctor can monitor your progress. The strap that you are referring could be of benefit. A back brace will only make your muscles lazy and weak.