Question
Posted by: Colleen | 2010/08/05

Guidance please

Good morning DDoc

I''l going away for 4 days and will be staying in a hotel. I am currently on a well balanced lowGI plan put together by a registered dietician, that''s working. My weightloss in 3 months is 17.1kg. This will be the first time since I''m on the plan that I will be away from my own kitchen where I can control my meal preparation. I''m scared!! Although I will make healthy choices, how do I ensure that my diet remains low GI, as I obviously wont be able to have beans, lentils, sweet potatoes lowGI bread etc in a hotel, neither will I have any control over how it is prepared and what goes into it. Please guide me in making the right choices. I need to ensure that I don''t gain during this 4 days, as I''m the type of person who will throw in the towel if I gain, wondering why I bother!!

Dear Colleen
Congratulations on losing those 17 kg with a well balanced low-GI eating plant - you are a ***star***. It is important that you don't panic now that you are going to stay in an hotel and start making random choices. Stick to the basic principles of the low-fat, low-GI diet. For example have low-fat unsweetened yoghurt with a high-fibre cereal and a low-GI fruit such as berries or apple. You can eat a poached egg and grilled tomato too. You can also take low-GI bread along with you and discuss this problem with the chef or maitre d'hotel. I always take along my own rye bread when I travel and eat it instead of the other breads on offer at hotels. Also stick to your normal portion sizes and leave excess food on your plate. Most of us have been brought up to clean our plates, but remember that when you are served a plate of food in an hotel, that they may dish up more than you are allowed to eat, so for once in your life, leave some food behind. Keep a check on the drinks you have and avoid alcohol if possible. Then if the setting allows, go for brisk walks or have a swim (weather permitting) every day to keep your metabolism stimulated.
Have a wonderful 4 days

1

Dear Colleen
Have a wonderful 4 days