Posted by: Anon | 2009-01-07

Guard dogs

Hi there,
We have a jack russel (7yrs), fox terrier (7yrs) and a boerbull who is very old. We have had numerous break-ins and would like to now to get good guard dogs. We are concerned that the smaller dogs might not take it well if we get other dogs because of their temprament, the boerbull would be OK with this. Which breed do you suggest we get and at what age? Someone suggested the new dogs must be at least 2yrs and not puppies but I do not know which breed to get.

Dear Anon

I would personaaly go for puppies. I love the fear factor that a Weimeraner of Ridgeback have.

Posted by: Anon | 2009-01-08

Many thanks to all for your prompt reply

I concern as well is the terriers who are extremely possesive and cheakiy. Someone suggested that we not get dogs at all becuase of the terriers. Any ideas

Posted by: Boerboel | 2009-01-08

Keeping the dogs inside at night is obviously ideal, but we have three boerboels, so we rotate them, always leaving two outside as a first line of defense. Dogs being inside however means an aggressive anti flea / tick programme. In our case we have to occasionally spray the whole yard with something like Bexadust because the Hah-de-dahs are daily visitors and bring in pepper ticks and tons of fleas. Their pickings must be slim because of the spraying, but they still try their luck. I must say though, that I miss the sound of lawn crickets at night.

Reply to Boerboel
Posted by: Carol | 2009-01-08

I actually have an interesting system....

We have tons of monkeys , I also have geese... now the monkeys seem to know who belongs on the property .. and I have learnt that when they go beserk the geese start and that sets the dogs off.

These same monkeys warned when we had 2 guys fiddling around trying to gain entry to the yard ... the geese went nuts and I felt I had to let the dogs out to see if I could help these two youngsters .... needless to say the kids fled .

Geese are also useful to have around .... not allowed in towns and cities I suppose ?? Pity.

Big dog lover ..I had a similar thing donkies years ago with a bullterrier and a ridgeback .. the bullie loved everyone ... but heaven help them if they tried to leave the yard ... many times I came home to meter readers, salesman etc sitting on the front veranda being loved .. and they had sat there all day cos peggy wouldnt allow them to budge.

And as Chill and I always say ... KEEP YOUR DOGS INSIDE

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Big dog lover | 2009-01-07

Years ago we had a Doberman + Bullmastiff (both spayed females ) at the same time. When strangers came near the house the dobey would go mad + become very agressive. The bullmastiff would wait until the person was in line with our fence + then would join in with her hoarse gruff type of bark + hair standing up on her back. They made a perfect combination + slept together inside the house at night. Both adorded children + the whole neighbourhoods kids used play at our place but beware a strange adult. There was no way that they could come in by the gate. Sometimes it works well to have 2 different breed of dogs especially when their charachters compliment one another like ours did.

Reply to Big dog lover
Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-07

For what it' s worth: I once saw the results of a study someone did by interviewing convicted housebreakers in jail about their experiences. Apparently their greatest deterrent was a house with more than one small dog, kept inside the house, that make a lot of noise.

I know this isn' t what you are after - you want a dog that can physically protect you and your belongings - my answer to this would be one large dog, such as has already been discussed, with a couple of small ones whose job it is to make a noise. Seems to me you' re already halfway there, so maybe just get an understudy for your old boerboel?

Personally, I' d keep them all inside at night - this is where you need protection, and they' ll still warn you if something' s going on outside. Plus, burglars can' t get to the dogs to incapacitate them, nor let them out of your property, so that they can plunder in peace.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2009-01-07

Once again I have to point out that no matter what type of dog you have unless it is part of the family and the family"  pack"  it isnt ging to guard much at all. Except perhaps the tree its tied to.

My two boxers terrify the life out of people and they arent vicious , although the one time I was " manhandled"  the " manhandler"  received 20 stitches.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Boerboel | 2009-01-07

Having had Boerboels for a good many years now, even adults which started with us as pups, I can second WR' s comments. From what I have observed and learned from other owners / breeders is that the Boerboel is an extremely protective animal of both it' s environment and owners which it sees as a part of it' s pack. A word of warning though, they demand a lot of care and attention, need to be disciplined, and should be allowed into your home regularly so as to identify it as being a part of their teritory. I have also found that they are not very alert at night when they are sound asleep, as is the case with most large breeds. This is perhaps excacerbated by the floppy ears covering the earhole. A smaller companion like a " Jackie"  or " Foxie"  that is more alert, could act as an early warning to the others. Numbers are also important, one dog on it' s own is less likely to attack or be a deterent than, say, three of them. They also give each other confidence in numbers.
I cannot even have other family members or staff (whom the dogs know well) enter our premises without our presence and re-assurance that it' s OK. Once allowed entry the dogs are no longer agressive toward them. This was something that they picked upon their own.
Boerboels also have a bit of a " reputation"  and although I find this unfounded in well treated dogs, it helps. Furthermore, weighing in at 70 to 75 kilos apiece, they are intimidating and a force to be reckoned with.

Reply to Boerboel
Posted by: WR | 2009-01-07

Not the easiest question to answer.

A few things you need to consider:
Like you said, puppies need time before they can guard.
Adult dogs need to feel part of a pack before they will actively guard.
If you get dogs that are adult and already aggresive - they could/can be a danger to you, your family, friends and the dogs you have now.

A guard dog' s first line of defense is his bark and his size/ look and also the reputation. So you could get a sweet and loving GSD that will lick you to death, but with a big voice and the reputation (of the breed0 of being vicious. Same goes for Rotties, Dobermanns etc.
You say you already have a Boerboel - maybe stick with a breed you know?

Reply to WR