Question
Posted by: Di | 2010/08/03

GSP

We are interested in purchasing a German Shorthaired Pointer pup. We have had one before so are well aware of the exercise and training requirements!!

However all the registered KUSA breeders only seem intent on selling the dogs for field trial purposes. Do you feel that these dogs can be kept recreationally (I hike and run daily and my current dog cannot keep up with me!)?

Also what is the latest understanding re the docking of the tails - I really hate this!

Thanks so much.

Hi Di

I see no reason why you should not get a GSP esp since you have owned one before.

I cannot comment on why the KUSA breeders will only sell there dogs for field trial purposes.

From the South African Veterinary Council Website:

The South African veterinary Council has decided that as of I June 2008 it will no longer condone routine tail docking of puppies by veterinarians.

Veterinarians who perform tail docking, unless for justifiable medical reasons, will be liable for prosecution under the Animal Protection Act no 71 of 1962. Veterinarians found guilty under this act, will automatically be investigated for unprofessional conduct by the SAVC under the Veterinary and Para-Veterinary Professions Act, 1982.

3
Posted by: Di | 2010/08/05

Thanks so much!

Reply to Di
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/08/04

Hi Di

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Flewzie | 2010/08/03

As long as you are aware of the ''peculiarities'' of the GSP, a field-trial type dog shouldn''t be a problem. Rather: shouldn''t be more of a problem than the average GSP, provided the exercise thing is catered for.
If you have had one before, you will know two things, that for an experienced and somewhat tolerant owner, they are a delightful breed, and that the breed certainly is not for everyone. Mine drives me insane at least 8 times per day, but I would not part with her for anything in the world.
Tail docking is outlawed, thank goodness, so as long as you go to a reputable breeder, this is something you will not have to tolerate. If you find a breeder that has done it, please report them to anyone who will listen - there are penalties.

Reply to Flewzie