Posted by: Kirsten | 2009-06-03

GSD with arthritis - another question (accupuncture?)

Thanks for your response... I phone a different vet and described the symptoms. He thinks it could be degenerative spinal myalepothy and I have an appointment with him in a few weeks time (he is going on leave) to confirm this. He has suggested that accupuncture might help. How effective is accupuncture on dogs?

Dear Kirsten

Some pets have good results but it is not possible to make a general statement on effectiveness.

Posted by: Tiffany | 2009-06-06

If you' re happy to see a homeo vet then perhaps call Jane Fraser on 0312614847, since the field is quite small she should be able to point you in the right direction and recommend a good homeopathic vet, and she is fantastically helpful. Good luck !

Reply to Tiffany

i' m in stellenbosch - any vet suggestions here would be very helpful!

could i suggest a fab homeo vet who will be able to help manage this sort of long term degenerative dx. are you in the durban area?

Posted by: Chill | 2009-06-03

There is no cure for DM (Degenerative Myelopathy) but there are some theories about slowing the progress of the disease.

One blessing, if you can call it that, is that DM is not normally painful, and in fact tends to be better in colder weather (unlike arthritis). The dragging of the hindquarters is certainly a symptom, as is the difficulty standing up, but if your dog is crying at night (according to your previous post), then it seems to me he' s in discomfort - I certainly wouldn' t be waiting a few weeks for a vet to come back from leave to address that.

I' d still recommend a specialist.

Reply to Chill